Monday, November 28, 2011
Maintenance Required
The sign above is on in my car. I admit that when it comes to car maintenance, I have no clue. The light comes on when I’m supposed to get an oil change, but I put it off until “I get the time”. I can hear you – “You’ll ruin your car!”. Yes, yes, I know, I know!
I think about this little sign a lot when it comes to how I’m operating my life. How many times do we look at our lives & think there’s a sign on us that says “Maintenance required”? The 20 lbs we promised ourselves we’d lose last January, but are still there. The doctor appointment that’s been put off. How about a little deeper? Knowing that you haven’t darkened the doors of a church in years because of “all those hypocrites”, but you know God is leading you to start going? What about the time with God that you know you should be spending, yet attitudes and emotions are dictating your day instead of His Presence and Word? Ouch…
Yeah, that “Maintenance Required” sign is pretty serious stuff. If neglected long enough, we crumble apart, bit by bit until one day, we crumble into a heap – spiritually or physically speaking – and left hopeless, discouraged and angry.
Proverbs 6:10-11 tells us: A little sleep, a little slumber,
A little folding of the hands to sleep—
11 So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler,
And your need like an armed man.
God doesn’t intend for us to live a “half-way” life. He wants us to be alert, on top of our game and living at our best. Right now, here in late November, decide that you’re resolving to change. Make the decision TODAY to get out of “maintenance” mode, repent for living below you best and start living in “surrendered” mode – Surrendered to the owner of your life who will do the daily checks (and sometimes, moment-by-moment checks) to keep you working at optimal speed.
“So let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet yes to God and he'll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master; it's the only way you'll get on your feet.” (James 4:7-10 Message)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment